Baby care is incomplete without an oil massage. A mother’s happiness multiplies when she sees her baby sleep soundly. A good oil massage has a soothing effect on the baby. For a healthy baby, daily oil massage is a must. In the excitement, do not overdo the process. Babies have a soft and tender body. Be careful while massaging the baby. Not all techniques or oils are suitable for the oil massage.
Choice of oils for the massage:
For a first-time mother, selecting the best baby massage oil can be quite a task. The plant-based oils are best suited for the purpose. If need be, do a bit of research. The following oils are sure to make the massage more effective and refreshing.
Mothers have been using mustard oil for massaging their little ones since time immemorial. Mustard oil helps to keep the body warm and is best suited for the winter season. For maximum results, heat mustard oil with fenugreek seeds, carom seeds or garlic cloves. Fenugreek brings in a very soothing effect while garlic is a great immune booster.
For the scorching summers, coconut oil massage is the best option. The fatty acids (Lauric acid and Caprylic acid) and antioxidants present in the coconut oil is ideal for the skin. The oil massage will have a cooling effect on the baby. The oil is very light to use and has antifungal and antibacterial properties.
The sesame oil, especially the black sesame oil is an excellent choice for baby massage.
Massage your baby with the goodness of almond oil. Rich in Vitamin E, almond oil helps to nourish the soft skin of your baby. The effectiveness of olive oil, chamomile oil, sunflower oil, tea tree oil, calendula oil as baby oils is known to all and sundry.
Benefits of oil massage:
Believe it or not, oil massage helps a mother bond better with the baby. The health benefits of oil massages are immense.
1. It helps the baby relax and sleep better.
2. The oil massage aids in relaxing the chest muscles. Thus, it comes as a relief for babies who have respiratory ailments.
3. The antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal properties of many massage oils are ideal for dealing with skin rashes and other dermatological problems.
Doing the oil massage the right way:
Oil massaging the baby is an art that one masters with time. One needs to have patience. The baby will have mood swings. Be as gentle as possible while massaging the baby. It is important that you massage the baby right. There are guidelines available to make the body massage comfortable and hassle-free.
Start with the sole of your toddler’s feet.
Take a little quality of oil into your palms and make gentle strokes. The movement should be from the heels towards the toes.
1. Be alert enough to see if your baby shows any signs of discomfort or uneasiness.
2. Continuing with the gentle massage, slowly move up the legs.
3. Gradually move from the ankle to the thigh and finally the hip.
4. It is best to avoid massaging the private area.
5. You can massage both the legs together or do one at a time.
6. There is a good massaging technique to help relieve the baby of gas. The baby’s leg is gently held under the knee and then pressed towards the tummy.
We next move up towards the upper part of the body
1. Start with the baby’s shoulder massage.
2. Slowly, with gentle strokes, move your hands inwards from the shoulder towards the chest.
3. While massaging the arms, gently move from the shoulders downwards towards the wrist.
Massaging the baby with a soft tummy
1. Move your hands in a clockwise direction.
2. The tummy should be massaged using circular strokes.
Massaging the face and scalp
1. The face massage should be done using the fingertips.
2. The starting point should be the middle of the forehead.
3. Slowly move downward towards the outer side of the baby’s face.
4. From there, with gentle strokes, move inwards towards the cheeks.
5. For the scalp, move your fingertips in small circles (mimic the shampooing movement).
Massaging the back
1. Gently turn the baby onto their stomach.
2. Massage tenderly from the head to the toe region.
1. The oil massage should not exceed 30 minutes.
2. Remove bangles and other accessories that might hurt the baby. ··Avoid extreme temperatures. A slightly warmer room temperature is advisable.
3. If you are not confident doing the massage, seek an expert assistance.