Children tend to pick up bad habits faster than the good ones. The temptation of bad habits are more colourful than the good ones, and it is natural for your child to pick up on then. As a parent, it is your duty to curb these bad practices before they become habits. A wrong approach to a touchy subject such as this may lead your child further astray from you.
The earlier you instill the importance of honesty, the better it will be. Read children books on honesty and the rewards of doing so to your toddler. These stories will inculcate good in your child from a young age. Help your child to avoid the temptation to lie before it becomes a monotony.
Here are some ways you can do this.
1. Reward your child every time they tell the truth. Rewards or appreciation is the best means to bring up your child in the perfect manner. Make the reward something your child will cherish, This will avoid having the hassle of having your child lie to you.
2. Confront your child in a polite manner. Use a strategic plan to help your child blurt out the truth. This will help them realize that speaking the truth is easier than adding lies to lies, thus making them prefer the truth.
3. You need to ensure that you do not make the mistake of telling little lies around your child, as this will encourage them to do the same. Once you have instilled in your child’s mind that it is okay to tell a few lies, your child will not know the different situations under which they can and cannot lie.
4. Make sure you do not name call your child, as it is the most offensive way to teach your child between right and wrong. The moment you use name calling such as ‘liar’ or ‘ deceiver’, you are encouraging it, which your child is sure to pick up on.
5. When your child lies to your face, it is typical of you to get annoyed or lose your temper. Avoid doing this, as it will only aggravate the situation. At no point must you raise your hand at your child to teach them between wrong and right. Instead, deal with the situation in a calm and simple way.