People prefer to play it extra safe when it comes to the health of their loved ones. Unfortunately, and quite unknowingly, in our endeavour to get the best, we often end up with things that prove to be extremely detrimental to the health. In fact, many products (food items, cosmetics, toiletries, and cleaning products) that we use in our day to day lives are highly toxic and should be done away with at the earliest. Being alert can, however, make things a lot better. It is better to be careful now than to regret later.
The common household products that are a bane in disguise include:
A product that is supposed to make your teeth, stronger and healthier can prove to be hazardous if consumed in excess. Many people, children in particular, like the taste of toothpaste. When ingested or used in excess, toothpaste can cause extreme discomfort and stomach problems, including blockage of the intestine and stomach ache (which, at times, gets unbearable).
Ingesting toothpaste that contains fluoride can spell more doom with consequences like breathlessness, convulsions and in extreme cases, even a heart attack.
Ensure that children, as well as adults, use the recommended quantity of toothpaste. Also, one should rinse their mouth well after the brushing their teeth.
After a long and tiring day, be it at home or in office, everyone wants to be able to enjoy good, sound sleep. A mattress is a luxury that most people love indulging in. Sadly, some mattresses will do your body more harm than good. The mattresses with PolyBrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDEs), boric acid and antimony should be avoided.
Prolonged exposure to PDBEs can result in serious health complications like decreased sperm count, disruption of the thyroid hormone, memory and hearing impairment, fetal deformations, and in extreme cases, even cancer. Continuous exposure to antimony, on the other hand, may result in diarrhoea, heart ailments, lung problems. Do not fall for lucrative and tempting offers. It is advisable to check the safety labels before purchasing any mattress.
3. Decorative household plants
Often we come across people who are passionate about plants. They decorate their house with a variety of plants that include philodendron, dieffenbachia, oleander, lily-of-the-valley, daffodil, or the ivy. Though it adds more to the home decor, it is not safe to have these plants at home, especially if you have kids around.
Most of these plants produce toxic chemicals to keep insects and other predators at bay. The chemicals, upon ingestion, can cause skin irritation (rashes, inflammation and allergies), vomiting, convulsions, diarrhoea, difficulty in breathing or a cardiac arrest.
Thus, it is best to have these plants outside the house, preferably in the garden.
4. Feeding bottles
A range of feeding bottles available in the market is manufactured using polycarbonate plastics. The chemical that goes into the making of these plastics is known as BisPhenol-A (BPA). Also referred to as an endocrine-disrupting chemical, BPA has been found to mimic an important hormone, oestrogen, resulting in serious health complications like obesity, heart ailments, infertility (both in males and females), and breast cancer.
Never use such feeding bottles for your bundle of joy. Of late, many safe and healthy alternatives (100% BPA free products) are available.
5. Non-stick cookwares
Non-stick cookwares have made cooking much easier and a real stress buster. However, like all good things, this comfort to comes with a limitation. The coating that goes into making a non-stick pan is known as polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE).
While cooking, PTFE (on heating) releases toxic gasses. which have been found to affect a person severely, causing organ failure, cancer, reproductive problems and other health complications.
Avoid using non-stick pans as much as possible. In case you use the pans, make sure you do not use a high flame (high flame causes maximum heating, and thus maximum damage).