We all know that the placenta is a structure that develops inside a pregnant woman’s uterus and provides oxygen and nutrition to the fetus. This placenta connects to the baby by the umbilical cord. Generally, the placenta attaches to the top or the side of the uterus. But in some cases, the placenta attaches in such a way that it covers the cervix either partially or completely. This condition when the placenta covers the cervix opening is known as Placenta Previa.

As per the current stats available, this condition exists in every 1 in 200 to-be moms. There are basically three different variants or types of placenta previa which are categorized based on the amount of cervix opening they cover. These categories are mentioned below.

1. Marginal Previa

In this condition, the placenta is attached adjacent to the cervix opening but the entire cervix opening is free of the placenta. This is a somewhat mild condition and there are no complications as such that arise during pregnancy. Though, it might be a little uncomfortable for the mother at times.

2. Partial Previa

In this condition, almost half of the cervix is covered by the placenta and there is only half the actual uterus opening left. This condition is a bit more complicated than the first one as here there is more irritation to the mother and there might also be occasional blood loss during pregnancy due to this condition.

3. Complete Previa

In this condition, the complete cervix opening is covered by the placenta and there is no opening left as such for the uterus. This is a serious condition where there is frequent blood loss during the entire pregnancy. Also, having Complete Placenta Previa raises the risk of undergoing cesarean delivery as with the placenta covering the uterus opening, it will be difficult for the child to come out in the normal delivery.

Placenta previa is a frequently occurring problem in women and should not be feared. The most frequently seen thing in placenta previa is blood loss from the vagina during pregnancy. Do not panic if something like that happens and just consult a doctor. From there on, the doctor will help you through.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: